Skip to main content

Augmented


A major chord rings out in strength.
Root note, the third, and fifth.

It’s followed now by other ones,
The chords it is joined with.


Familiar notes, familiar sounds,
The chords are calm and full

One chord, the next, the song moves on,
Its sounds predictable.


As peaceful chords continue on,
A growing sense is felt

That something more is coming soon
The music grows and swells.


Then in a sudden turn of hand,
Fifth note moves up half step.

The smallest change, a little shift,
But with it chords augment.


The sound of song is different now,
There’s pain inside the chords.

Yet in the pain that’s present there,
It rings of something more.


One note is lifted higher up,
the sadness echoes strong.

Yet in the lifting, also heard
a sound of pressing on.


And why would it be otherwise?
Why not this pain, yet hope?

We know the story that it tells
That trouble brings forth growth.


Augment: enlarge in size or strength,
In number or extent.

Make greater, larger, more complete,
Or to make more intense.


These chords, they ring with words of old,
divinely revealed truth:

To gladly welcome trials in,
For what they will produce.


We count it joy, for when they come
Steadfastness we will see.

And when steadfastness is in full,
We will be found complete.


The pain and sorrow, joy and hope
Comingled strife and peace.

With chords augment completeness comes
Because of what it brings.


As we experience suffering,
His death becomes our own

We also see His riseness,
His power is made known.


It’s in the deepest of our pain
that Christ is often seen.

These swells of sadness point us home,
Remind us of what will be.


The notes align, they resonate
They tell a story true.

The sounds they bring are full of hope:
All things will be made new.


Comments

  1. Very poetic and meaningful how music gives such strong sense of emotion and experience. How are we created to know which cords emit joy and which ones can emit discord within?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clothed with Him

Romans 13:14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. This sentence comes right after a verse about giving up sins.   And I’m contemplating what it looks like to give up my sinful ways of thinking and replace it with the way Jesus thinks.  I’m wondering what it means to “put [him] on.” And the weather has begun to change, so I pick out a shirt that I haven’t worn yet that’s more suited for this fall-ish weather.  It’s one of many hand-me-downs that my best friend has given me. And I go to church, and the thing I keep sensing the Spirit telling me is that I am loved.  That I need not consider the thoughts and opinions and judgements of others, but rather listen to what He is speaking over me: that I am fully loved. That I need to really believe that I am not perfect, nor will I be here on this earth. That most of the anxiety and uncertainty that I experience is because I keep trying to reconcile all these thing

Fear

Twas grace that taught my heart to fear and grace my fears relieved.  I’ve sung those words a thousand times, but never before have they resonated so deeply within me.   Hebrews 2:15 speaks of Christ, who came that He “might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives.” The word fear brings to mind other fear in the Bible: The command to fear the Lord. The fear of the Israelites when they spied out the land and came back with reports of capable people and strong cities.   The anxious fear that we’re told to cast upon God. What is the significance of fearing something? Proverbs 1:7 tells us that “the fear of the L ORD is the beginning of knowledge ; fools despise wisdom and instruction” and Proverbs 3:5-6 follows with a command to “ trust in the L ORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight .”   Fear of the Lord leads to w

The Grace of Discipleship

What is discipleship? It seems that is the question of the day.  We’re called to make disciples and yet we hardly see it happening.  And when it comes down to it, we don’t even know what it looks like, so how can we know if it’s happening? The word discipleship for me usually brings images to mind of meeting one-on-one with someone, teaching them from scripture, talking about what God is doing in their hearts.  I think this is what it can look like to make disciples, but I think to truly understand discipleship the tables must be turned so that we find ourselves sitting face to face with Jesus.  Rather than focus on the outer act, he turns our eyes to the inner state. In Matthew 16:24, Jesus tells His disciples that “if anyone wishes to come after [Him] they must deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow [Him].”  Tough orders from the God of the universe. I think I cringe a little every time I hear those words.   Could it be this life of a disciple that often sou